It’s a New Year, with a fresh slate. You ready?
At the Institute Of Curiosity, we are getting down to business and are bringing our A Game. Like you, we are following the steps and getting clear about what we want in 2017. (If you missed it, find them here 1, 2, 3)
Next up is goals, those desired outcomes that we envision, commit to, and want to achieve. Goals are important because they give our life direction, they motivate us and help keep us focused on what we want. Goals can also feel overwhelming – lofty ideas that we aim for and yet never reach. We can see them and want to achieve them; however, our approach may not be realistic.
Below is a strategy we have created to help gain clarity around wants and desired outcomes, while also creating confidence about how to achieve this. It isn’t easy; however, nothing worth doing ever is. The more detail you provide, and the more honest you are, the more successful you will become. Achieving small goals takes us closer to the big ones and encourages us along the way. Going from zero to big goals can sometime be discouraging and it can be easy to get lost along the way. Regardless, this process is about you. There is no right or wrong way of doing it. Just do it.
Pull out your vision card that you have created and honestly answer the questions below.
- What do you need to do to accomplish this vision in the coming year? It is important to take a close look and list everything you think you might need to do to achieve this vision. The stronger the detail the easier it will be to achieve.
- If your ‘to do’ list looks long and overwhelming, try grouping things together in themes so you reduce the list to 2-3 categories.
- Look intently at these themes and get curious, what stands out for you?
- Looking at your vision, what will success look like? Defining success gives you some points of evaluation so you know what you are working towards and can monitor and evaluate your progress (or not) as you go.
- Now that you have a clearer idea of the steps you need to take to accomplish your vision, what are 2-3 goals (max) you can identify to help you achieve your vision?
Download a printable version of this here, work on it and pin it up. This will help hold you accountable and ensure you stay on track.
Be sure to write your answers down, reflect on them, change them, sit with them until you are satisfied you have what you want. Revisiting your vision and goals through out the year will ensure that you stay in alignment. Have fun and be fearless! What would you do if you were not afraid?