Each year we have an opportunity to look ahead and decide what we want for ourselves over the coming 12 months. Perhaps it is better health, loosing a few extra pounds, wanting to have more friendships, learn something new, travel, or tackle that project you have always wanted to do. What most people don’t realize; however, is that if you can’t see it, then it is hard to achieve it – or believe it.
So often Kirsten and I ask our clients what they want in their lives, how they want to handle a certain situation, what they want to change or learn. Too frequently the response is “I don’t know. I know what I don’t want ……..”
If we are not clear on what we want, how can we expect to achieve it, get what we want in this life, the only life we have right now? Moving into a new year provides us with the opportunity of being present so we can let go of what has happened in the past and focus on what we want in the future. Simply put, it’s a clean slate to focus on your wants and needs.
Like a asking a child what they want to be when they grow up, as you think about what you want from 2017 let there be no limit! No goal to big, no thought too small. Let go of any preconceived ideas or thoughts of what you think 2017 might be and create a vision, your story, of what you want 2017 to be. Create a vision that makes you want to jump out of bed each morning!
Here are a couple of ways to do that:
- Flip through magazines, cutting out pictures that represent what you want more of in your life and create a collage
- Create a collage of words that are powerful for you and create the image of what you want in your life
- Choose 3-5 words that represent what you want and create a reminder that will help you keep these words front and centre in your life
- Draw a picture of what you want more of in your life
- Write a story about yourself stepping in to the life you want in the coming year
- Record your story about the life you want
- Find a thinking partner! Meet with someone who will stay curious with you and is committed to change too. Exchange visions for the next year, each using curiosity to help the other gain clarity around what you each want. Bonus: this will help you be accountable as well.
The more detail you have the more successful you will be.
We are curious, how are you making the most of 2017? Let us know in the comments below.